For on-line guest reviews check out Trip Advisor and our Facebook Page
Here are a few comments guests have made in our in-room guest journals…
• What an amazing place! Truly unlike any other. We are on vacation, escaping our busy schedules at home, and boy did we come to the right place! The decor, the bed, the scenery; everything was perfect. We truly felt like guests in someone’s home. The extra thought and creativity put into this room to make guests feel welcome is evident. We will surely be back!
Randy P & Leah M
Twin Cities, MN
• We like to travel and find things to see & places to stay that are off the typical tourist radar, and these railcars fit the bill! It’s great that you are off the highway, middle of the woods, surrounded by birch and pine, and deer. We used this as a home base to hike & bike up and down the North Shore. And we really appreciated the friendly advice & directions our hosts provided. We’ll be back by the fireplace at night, sure was fun!
Tom C & Louaine V
• Wonderful place to stay. After traveling & following the Beargrease dogsled race, the quiet & comfort of Northern Rail was fabulous!! The “Golf Room” had a sumptuous comforter & bed & view!! Two deer came to visit before we left. We will definitely come back.
Bill & Julie
PS. Wonderful hospitality too!
• What a wonderful time we had!! We came here to celebrate our 11 year anniversary. No kids all week. Grandma has them so we decided to B&B it all week up the North Shore. So far we’re very impressed with our 2nd stop at the RR. What great hospitality. Friendly management, very helpful on getting you info on what’s going on. Definitely will return for some R&R. Thanks!
Lory & Wikki S
Belle Plane, MN
• Boxcars do not usually conjure up visions of luxury and fun; however, from now on I will think of this place when I see a passing freight train. What a unique idea for a hotel- I will be telling everyone I know about you! Thanks for an interesting stop here!
• A warm summer’s motorcycle trip brought us to this wonderful hotel. Rode out a raging thunderstorm snug in our boxcar. Love this place & hope to return.
Sarah, Jim & Colin T
• It was a mom’s getaway, and what a perfect place for it. It is a peaceful, quiet, warm and cozy place to stay. Friendly & helpful staff. Thanks for the room tour. Betty’s Pies is a perfect place to get a great meal and also a late night piece of pie to go. I can’t wait to bring my sons up here. Thanks for everything.
P.S. I can’t wait to tell all my friends, they will love it.
• We love the idea of the train cars. My husband built trains with his father as a child with many fond memories. I always read The Boxcar Children books as a child and couldn’t help but remember them while staying here. We’ll be back!
• We had seen this place on the TV show “On the Road” with Jason Davis and were anxious to stay here. We thoroughly enjoyed the railcar experience and will highly recommend it to others.
• What a beautiful place to spend a first anniversary. We loved the beauty of the shoreline and hiking. But – Wow – Nothing beats the lightning and thunderstorms in the area! Thanks for sharing this incredible place with us.
• Spent Friday & Saturday here to run Grandma’s. Never been in a traincar before- it’s a lot bigger than I imagined. I saw a moose out the window while eating the pre-race breakfast that was awesome. The staff was so sweet, thanks for the welcoming atmosphere!
• We drove up to the North Shore for a short weekend retreat. Picked up agates on the beach near Knife River. Skipped some stones into the lake and enjoyed a picnic of smoked salmon and cheese. The kids actually went swimming – they have no concept of cold… Today we will explore more of the north shore.
• We stumbled upon this B&B by accident. As we looked at a room, a doe grazed outside our window. We’re somewhat of train nuts and have a model RR in our study. What a nice, delightful discovery we made by turning off the highway. We wish we could stay longer. As we at breakfast, a coyote wandered through the meadow area. We’ll remember Northern Rail.
• Wonderful, comfortable bed! Great comforter to snuggle under one of the BEST thunderstorms we ever heard! The thunder could literally be heard rolling down the hills. And the power stayed on despite the lightning and heavy rain! Nice breakfast too with friendly conversation.
• Sometimes it gets so quiet that the silence wakes you up. Sometimes the rain is so peaceful that it keeps you sleeping. Sometimes the beds are so comfortable that the sheets hold you down. Any way you put it, we slept beautifully here and look forward to coming back. The North Shore is the place for us. Thank you to everyone involved.